U.S. Naval Academy Textbooks
The mission of U.S. Naval Academy Textbooks is to provide all midshipmen with the textbooks and academic items requested by the academic departments, in addition to distributing approved leadership books to plebes. It is the goal of USNA Textbooks to provide these educational items on a timely basis and to secure the best price possible.
Midshipmen only are authorized to make purchases during the book issue period. Staff and faculty are notified via email when they are authorized to make purchases.
To order your non-core books, reserve your books for later purchase or just check prices, go to:
The following outlines the USNA Textbook Issue Return Policies (Textbooks, Software and Other Items)
- Return policy for items purchased for Non Core Courses
- RETURNABLE ITEMS may be returned within 7 calendar days from the first day of class
- NON-RETURNABLE ITEMS are so indicated by a “Not Returnable” sticker on the shelf tag
- RETURNED ITEMS must be accompanied by the cash register receipt
- RETURNED ITEMS must have all original stickers attached
- NEW ITEMS must be in new condition when returned, as determined by textbook personnel
- USED TEXTBOOKS must be in sale-able condition when returned, as determined by textbook personnel
- SHRINK WRAPPED ITEMS cannot be returned if the package has been opened
- SPECIAL ORDERED ITEMS must be prepaid and cannot be returned
- Items Purchased for core courses are not returnable, except when an academic department has sent in a request to cancel an item or when students have schedule changes by the add a course deadline.
- Plebe box issue books are not returnable
The USNA Instruction 1552.3E designates that textbooks and materials requested by the academic departments for core courses are mandatory issues to midshipmen enrolled in core courses.
- Core textbooks and materials are issued in a box for each individual registered in a core course.
- The core course items are not returnable, except when an academic department has sent in a request to cancel an item or when students have schedule changes by the “add a course deadline”.
- Core course items are issued in the Dress Uniform Issue Center, room 5B13 Bancroft Hall.
- Distribution times are noted on the daily schedule.
- Student accounts are charged for all core course textbooks and materials that are designated for the core courses in which they are enrolled.
Current Core Courses
Non-core textbooks may be purchased in Textbook Issue, room 5B02 Bancroft Hall during the hours of 0730 am -0400 pm Monday – Friday. Special shopping hours will be posted on the daily schedule for brigade reform. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check card, Midshipman Charge Card and Yard Card.
The non-core textbook list provided here is a snapshot in time and will be updated periodically. It is generated from information provided to the Naval Academy Business Services Division by the USNA academic departments and publishers. The Naval Academy Business Services Division is not liable for any expense incurred by midshipmen based on the information provided. Changes are received from academic and publishing sources through the first weeks of each semester.
Save time, save money and avoid the lines. Order your non-core textbooks online at:
- What is a textbook rental?
- Midshipmen have the option to rent (as opposed to buying) in the Non-Core Textbook Issue Center those textbooks that are available for rent. These rentals are for a specific term and are a cost-effective and useful option for midshipmen.
- What does it cost to rent a textbook?
- The fee for renting a textbook is calculated at up to 50% off of the retail price of the textbook.
- How do I know if any of my classes offer textbook rentals?
- Non-core course textbook rental prices will be listed on the web, along with the new and used textbook prices. Rental prices will be noted on the shelf tags for your classes in the store as well.
- How do I pay for a textbook rental?
- We accept all forms of payment.
- May I use my Midshipman Card to pay for textbook rentals?
- Yes, you may use your Midshipman Card to pay for rented textbooks.
- How long is the rental period?
- The rental period begins the day you pay for the textbook rental and runs through the last day of final exams for the term in which it is rented. All rented textbooks must be returned to the Non-Core Textbook Issue Center in good condition and by the last day of finals.
- May I mark the inside of the book with a highlighter or make notes in the margins?
- Yes, normal highlighting and writing is permitted in the rental textbooks. Staff members will use the same standards for determining the acceptable condition of rental textbooks as used for determining the condition of books purchased from students at textbook buyback.
- What happens if I drop a class?
- If you drop a class during the regular non-core textbook refund period (5 work days from the start of class or date of purchase), you may terminate your rental agreement for the textbook(s) for that class and receive a refund. After that time and through the add course deadline noted on the USNA academic calendar, a refund will be granted for instances of a dropped class. You must provide proof of the dropped class and return the book(s) to the Non-Core Textbook Issue Center within the required period.
- What happens if I do not return the book by the due date?
- Your Midshipman Card will be charged for the replacement cost of the textbook, in addition to a processing fee. The book will be yours to keep.
- What happens if I lose a rented textbook?
- If a rental book is not returned for any reason, your Midshipman Card will be charged a processing fee and for the replacement price of the textbook.
- What if I forget when the rental is due?
- As a courtesy we will send a reminder notice to your midshipman email address. However; it is your responsibility to return the book by the due date, even if you do not receive this email. Remember that rental books are due by the last day of final exams.